UK Care Home History
Our UK care home, Richmondwood has had an
interesting history. The land was originally owned by the Earl of
Malmesbury who sold it to a private purchaser in 1905 for the sum of
It was later sold to the Church Commissioners and in
1936 became the vicarage to the nearby parish church of St Albans. It
remained as such until 1978 when it changed ownership and soon after was
converted to a UK Care Home.
The vicarage had four bedrooms, but by the time the
current owner purchased it in 1986 this had increased to 11 bedrooms.
Since that date our UK care home has had several extensions and now has
22 bedrooms, 19 of which have en-suite toilet or full bathing
It is a tribute to the sympathetic way the additions
have been designed that most visitors coming up the front drive are
unaware that it is only the middle part of the UK care home - the bay
window and the window to the left - that is part of the original
In the 1990’s a further parcel of land was purchased at the rear to be used as amenity space.
Outside, the gardens front and rear have been
extensively landscaped and designed so that all parts are
level and easily accessed by those in wheelchairs or who have mobility
This UK Care Home has previously won the Bournemouth in Bloom competition three times and is a riot of colour in the summer months.